Skip to main content

2 mistakes you shouldn't make when trying to eliminate body acne



Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil are the most talked about ingredients for acne
If you are looking for ways to clear your body acne chances are you have come across many articles on "hot to do it". Have you noticed that Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil are the most frequently talked about ingredients for acne? 

I've battled acne for two decades and have used both Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil. But in the past they did nothing to clear my body acne. Now I know why. I did not use them correctly.




In the past, I thought that Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil were simply not strong enough for my body acne
So here is what I used to do. One month, I would use a body wash with Salicylic acid, but seeing that my body acne did not diminish much, the following month I would try a Tea tree oil body wash. Again, that made only slight difference to my body acne.

I assumed that the fault is with the products. Perhaps they were simply not good enough? Because Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil are two raved about ingredients I spent two decades trying different products with these key ingredients hoping to find one that is powerful enough to make a  real difference to my body acne. But no such luck...

Looking back, I feel very sad that I didn't have the knowledge I have now. Because I realize now, that each time I was using a Salicylic acid product or a Tea tree oil product I was in fact one step closer to clear skin. If I only knew then what to do in addition to that one step, I would have cleared my skin much sooner.

So if you have already tried Salicylic acid and/or Tea tree oil products for your body acne without success- read on. The answer to clear skin has to do not only with what we use but how we use it.



The mistakes I made while trying to eliminate my body acne

Mistake 1


In the past, I would use either a pore unclogging product such as Neutrogena body wash with Salicylic acid or a bacteria fighting one such as Tea tree oil body wash. But I never used products with these two acne fighting ingredients on the same day. That was  one of my mistakes.

Now I know that it is necessary to take care of both my pores and acne bacteria every day. Salicylic acid is brilliant at unclogging the pores, and Tea tree oil is great at reducing the acne bacteria count on the skin. I should have used products with those two ingredients every day.

Instead, I would use a Tea tree oil body wash for a month and in this way the bacteria count on the surface of the skin was going down. Great! But what about the acne bacteria trapped inside the pores?  Because the pores remained clogged and the bacteria trapped inside the pores could not be eliminated- that lead to inflammation and the body acne remained.

Then the following month I would use a Salicylic acid containing product and all that did was to unclog the pores. So in addition to the acne bacteria already present on the skin, from deep inside the pores-more bacteria, sebum and dead skin cells came to the surface. In other words, the bacteria count became greater than before the use of Salicylic acid. No wonder so many of us experience skin purging when we try different Salicylic acid containing products.

I don't know if that is what really happens. It is my "theory" based on my first hand experience. I firmly believe that Salicylic acid containing products must be used in conjunction with acne bacteria fighting ones. I've tried my theory on my skin and it works. I am confident that it will work for you as well. Using both Salicylic acid and Tea tree products results in wonderfully clear skin. No purging. No irritation. Simply reduced inflammation, reduced bacteria count and clean, unclogged pores.

* You will read in many articles on the Internet and in interviews with Dermatologists that Salicylic acid is not only a pore unclogging ingredient, but also an anti-bacterial ingredient. Even if this was true (which I do not believe and I don't know if any studies have confirmed it), any antibacterial effect salicylic acid might have must be absolutely tiny because using only Salicylic acid does not diminish the bacteria count much (that is in my experience). As I learn more about this topic I am happy to update, to stand corrected etc. So if you know something which can benefit this discussion, do get in touch and I will update this information.

In my experience, for the skin to be clear of blemishes either on the face or the body, one needs to unclog the pores DAILY  and reduce the bacteria count DAILY -even when the skin is completely clear.

Mistake 2

Over the past two decades I've experienced clear skin for a month here and a month there. At the time, I wrongly assumed that because my skin was clear, my skin troubles were a thing of the past. I would then stop using acne fighting products and go back to "normal" body washes, skin moisturizers etc. and within a month or even sooner, my skin would get congested, pores would get blocked and pimples would come out. I would be back to where I started.


What is actually going on when the skin is clear
For those of us with oily, acne prone skin, when the skin is clear, it doesn't mean that acne has been "cured". It means that the bacteria count on the skin is so low that currently there is no inflammation. But that can change very quickly. The bacteria count can go up and inflammation can start.  Our pores get filled up with sebum/oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria daily. Therefore we need to continue using products which  unclog the pores and diminish the acne bacteria count daily.

It may not be necessary to use as many acne fighting products as when we have full blown acne with inflamed pimples, but nevertheless, we need to continue using pore unclogging and acne bacteria fighting ingredients- DAILY and EVEN WHEN THE SKIN IS COMPLETELY CLEAR

What products should you use?
You can totally customize this. Simply choose products which contain Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil. If you are interested in suggestions about products and want to know what products I use, here is a link to my post 3 steps to eliminating body acne

The 3 steps to eliminating body acne has made such a difference to my skin that I am really happy to share my experience with you. I am confident that the advice will help you.

Upcoming posts:
How to eliminate severe body acne
How to eliminate acne if you have sensitive skin

Till next time, Milu


Popular posts from this blog

Galactomyces & Bifidalacto Complex products+UPDATE

Did I like using Manyo Factory Galactomyces niacin?

No. I will not repurchase Manyo Factory Galactomycesniacin again. UPDATE:31/08/17 It has been 7 months since I wrote this post and in that time I've learnt that Niacin is a very well researched skin loving ingredient. I will be purchasing products containing Niacin :-) and hoping it will "shrink" my pores. 

Observations about applying the product and how it felt on the skin

Applying it felt like applying water. No scent, no colour, with a consistency that was a bit thicker than water. It felt cool on application. None of those are reasons to dislike the product of course.

After application, my skin did not feel or look any different. By that I mean that my skin did not feel more comfortable and nourished like it usually does with Sulwhasoo Herblinic Restorative Ampoules; my skin did not feel soothed and caressed like it usually does with Tosowoong's Osory oil emulsion; my skin did not feel energised and refreshed like …

Best calming cream for acne prone skin- Sulwhasoo Herblinic EX Restorative Ampoules review

I first heard about the Sulwhasoo range from one of my favourite Youtubers- Lili. Her blog title is I am a beauty junky and that is also the name of her YouTube channel. I don't remember her reviewing the Herblinic EX Restorative Ampoules but when I researched several Sulwhasoo products she talked about, I found a couple of reviews on Herblinic and was intrigued enough to order samples from Ebay.  I bought 30 samples and they lasted me 15 days ( using them day and night).

From the very first application, my skin was nourished like never before. I could tell that this was one amazing product.



This honey like cream/serum is apparently packed with medicinal herbs which are said to  help nourish and  repair damaged skin. It smells herby and to me that scent is calming. It looks like honey but it spreads easily and little goes a long way. The application can be a bit sticky, but I don't mind that. One sample is enough for my face and neck.


After I used the first 30 samples, my skin…

Neck skin care with Sulwhasoo Radiance Energy Mask

My face loves it, my neck adores it.The Radiance Energy mask is an amazing sleeping mask with White Jade. The scent is very Sulwhasoo like- herby and mysterious. I apply it in the evening as the last step in my regimen. It glides smoothly, but not too easily because the mask is rather thick.  It forms a non-sticky film on the skin which feels comfortable during the night. In the morning I rinse it off and then I use a foaming cleanser to wash my face with.

Before I wash the mask off in the morning my skin feels very well rested and it looks calm and smooth. After I wash it off, my skin looks "awake" and youthful. The difference it has made to the texture of the skin on my neck is remarkable. I feel that my neck always needs more moisture, more care, more powerful ingredients. I don't know how this mask works, but it does. It certainly delivers that "more" that I need especially for my neck.

Apparently the magic ingredient is the White Jade. It has been used in As…