Skip to main content

3 steps to eliminating body acne


  1. Unclog pores
  2. Reduce acne bacteria
  3. Protect from UVA and UVB rays

These 3 steps need to be taken each and every day even when the skin is clear of blemishes. And if the acne is moderate to severe, then several layers of ingredients that unclog the pores as well as several layers of acne bacteria fighting ingredients are needed.



In this post I write about the actual regimen that helped me eliminate body acne and maintain clear skin. If you are interested in how this 3 step regimen came to be- come back to read my next post.

If you have moderate to severe body acne, start with the advice I give in this post, but you might need to take some additional steps  and layer more products. I will write about that in another blog post.


Products

Below you will see the products I currently use. I am very happy with these products, but you can easily customize your regimen and achieve clear skin with different products as long as you stick to the 3 essential steps:


1. Use a product which unclogs your pores daily.
2. Use a product which reduces the acne bacteria count daily.
3. Use a sunblock which protects your skin from UVA and UVB rays daily. 

* if your body acne is moderate to severe you might need to layer several products. I explain that later in the post.
* even when your skin is clear of blemishes, follow the regimen.


Shower time

Here is what I do
To wash my skin in the shower I alternate between The Body shop Tea tree body wash which reduces the bacteria count on my skin and Cosrx Salicylic Acid Exfoliating Cleanser which unclogs my pores. I usually take one and sometimes two showers daily. So, if I use the Body shop Tea tree body wash in the morning, I would use the Cosrx Salicylic acid cleanser in the evening.
Why I use two different products
I use two different products because in my experience one product claiming to both unclog pores and fight acne bacteria is less effective than two separate products. Perhaps the ingredients are less concentrated? However I have not tried all products out there. There may be a product that is super effective at both fighting acne bacteria and unclogging the pores. If you know of such product, let me know.


The Body shop Tea tree body wash
In the photograph below you see The Body shop Tea tree body wash and Cosrx Salicylic acid exfoliating cleanser. It is easy and inexpensive to buy The Body shop products. Visit their website or your local store and you will see that they have all sorts of sales and promotions going on each month. And every time you make a purchase you are given a coupon for some money off your next purchase. It costs £7 but chances are you will never need to pay full price for it, there are amazing sales going on all the time. This product it a best seller and last time I checked there were 150 positive reviews on their website. It is a green colour and smells of Tea tree.

Cosrx Salicylic acid exfoliating cleanser
Cosrx is a Korean brand and I get their products from eBay. There are tons of wonderful sellers on eBay. The Salicylic acid exfoliating cleanser costs around £8 and lasts a long time. Shipping is usually free. The product is sent from Korea, but it comes to the UK very quickly - within 7-10 days. You can also find Cosrx on Amazon. The product has a medicinal scent which I am not fond of, but it is so effective at unclogging the pores, I love using it.




Can you use different products?Of course. If you want to use different products, you can. Instead of the Korean brand Cosrx, you can use Neutrogena body wash which contains Salicylic acid. Instead of The Body shop Tea tree body wash you can use some other Tea tree body wash product. There are many to chose from.

What if you take only one shower a day?
Easy. You can still alternate between the body wash products.


What if you want to use just one body wash?Try finding one that has ingredients that unclog pores and fight bacteria. But the concentration of these ingredients may not be as strong as if you were using two separate products. It depends on the formula.

After shower care

Here is what I do
After a shower, I spray my back, shoulders and chest with one of two toners. One of the toners contains Tea tree oil, the other contains Salicylic acid. No surprise there. Similarly to how I alternate my body washes, I alternate the two toners. If I use one in the morning, then I use the other in the evening.

Below you see The Body shop Skin clearing mattifying toner. I put it into a spray bottle and it is ready to be sprayed on my shoulders, chest and back. This Tea tree toner diminishes the acne bacteria count on my body.



In the photograph below you see a toner containing BHA and AHA. The toner is by the Korean brand Mizon and I get it on eBay for about £11.

This toner contains both BHA and AHA. BHA is Salicylic acid which unclogs the pores.  AHA is Alpha hydroxy acid which is brilliant for removing dead skin cells that could block the pores.

Again, this toner can be poured into a spray bottle and then  sprayed onto the body. As you can tell from the photo below, I don't actually have this toner in a spray bottle. I simply pour some toner on my palms and apply wherever I can reach. 

As I mentioned earlier. I alternate between these two toners. If I use one in the morning, then I use the other one in the evening.

Perhaps you are not used to applying skin care products on your body twice a day?
No problem. Alternate between the different toners each day. And don't be stingy. Spray a lot and massage well until it is absorbed by the skin.

What if you find a toner which claims to do both- unclog your pores and fight acne bacteria?
Great. Give it a try. But if it doesn't help much, then the ingredients are not concentrated enough to make a difference to your body acne.




Treating individual pimples on your body

What if your chest, shoulders and back are clear and smooth, but all of a sudden a lonely pimple has appeared?
Again, I alternate between two products. One contains Salicylic acid and unclogs the pore. The other contains Tea tree oil and reduces inflammation and fights the acne bacteria.

Here is what I do
In the morning I would apply a small blob of Shiseido's blemish targeting gel (contains Salicylic acid) directly on the pimple without massaging it in. I let it air dry.

This product is amazing for individual pimples and even though my skin has been clear for a long time now, I have two bottles of this product- one I keep at home, the other one in my handbag.

Read my review of Shiseido's blemish targeting gel here Again, I get this product from eBay for about £15, but trust me, it is so worth it. But if you are on a budget, try another cheaper gel with Salicylic acid.



So, in the morning I've applied the Salicylic acid gel. Then in the evening I would apply The Body shop tea tree oil directly onto the pimple by massaging it in. Please note that this Tea tree oil is gentle, ready to use, pre-diluted oil. It is not pure, essential oil.

We have to be very careful with pure essential oils and not apply them directly on the skin without first diluting them properly.


How can you customize this advice?
For individual pimples once again you would need a product which unclogs the pore of the pimple and another product which diminishes the acne bacteria count. So when you search for products, those are the two things to keep in mind.

The final step in this regimen

The final step is to wear sunblock on your neck, shoulders and arms. You have to do this because by using Salicylic acid and Tea tree oil products you are renewing the skin daily. The new, softer skin needs protection. If you have blemishes on your chest and shoulders- they are little wounds. These wounds need protection from the sun's rays.

Don't skip this step in the regimen. I know it is really hard to find a sunscreen that doesn't cause breakouts. But Sun damage is so incredibly hard to deal with. In the photo below is my favourite sun block by Missha called All around Safe sunblock, Soft finish Sun milk SPF 50+/PA +++ It is perfect for my oily skin. Read my review here.



Have a Fantastic Summer! Try this regimen and you'll be wearing sleeveless shirts in no time.

What is coming up next: A post on how this 3 step regimen came to be Here is the link to that post and a post on treating moderate to severe body acne.

Till next time, Milu




Popular posts from this blog

Galactomyces & Bifidalacto Complex products+UPDATE

Did I like using Manyo Factory Galactomyces niacin?

No. I will not repurchase Manyo Factory Galactomycesniacin again. UPDATE:31/08/17 It has been 7 months since I wrote this post and in that time I've learnt that Niacin is a very well researched skin loving ingredient. I will be purchasing products containing Niacin :-) and hoping it will "shrink" my pores. 

Observations about applying the product and how it felt on the skin

Applying it felt like applying water. No scent, no colour, with a consistency that was a bit thicker than water. It felt cool on application. None of those are reasons to dislike the product of course.

After application, my skin did not feel or look any different. By that I mean that my skin did not feel more comfortable and nourished like it usually does with Sulwhasoo Herblinic Restorative Ampoules; my skin did not feel soothed and caressed like it usually does with Tosowoong's Osory oil emulsion; my skin did not feel energised and refreshed like …

Best calming cream for acne prone skin- Sulwhasoo Herblinic EX Restorative Ampoules review

I first heard about the Sulwhasoo range from one of my favourite Youtubers- Lili. Her blog title is I am a beauty junky and that is also the name of her YouTube channel. I don't remember her reviewing the Herblinic EX Restorative Ampoules but when I researched several Sulwhasoo products she talked about, I found a couple of reviews on Herblinic and was intrigued enough to order samples from Ebay.  I bought 30 samples and they lasted me 15 days ( using them day and night).

From the very first application, my skin was nourished like never before. I could tell that this was one amazing product.



This honey like cream/serum is apparently packed with medicinal herbs which are said to  help nourish and  repair damaged skin. It smells herby and to me that scent is calming. It looks like honey but it spreads easily and little goes a long way. The application can be a bit sticky, but I don't mind that. One sample is enough for my face and neck.


After I used the first 30 samples, my skin…

Neck skin care with Sulwhasoo Radiance Energy Mask

My face loves it, my neck adores it.The Radiance Energy mask is an amazing sleeping mask with White Jade. The scent is very Sulwhasoo like- herby and mysterious. I apply it in the evening as the last step in my regimen. It glides smoothly, but not too easily because the mask is rather thick.  It forms a non-sticky film on the skin which feels comfortable during the night. In the morning I rinse it off and then I use a foaming cleanser to wash my face with.

Before I wash the mask off in the morning my skin feels very well rested and it looks calm and smooth. After I wash it off, my skin looks "awake" and youthful. The difference it has made to the texture of the skin on my neck is remarkable. I feel that my neck always needs more moisture, more care, more powerful ingredients. I don't know how this mask works, but it does. It certainly delivers that "more" that I need especially for my neck.

Apparently the magic ingredient is the White Jade. It has been used in As…